Vape pens contain an internal battery that powers vape cartridges. They come in different shapes and sizes and cover a wide range of uses. There are high quality premium mods, standardized vape pens and even disposable ones. The type of pen to purchase will largely depend on the intended use, but luckily, there are no shortages of options.
An Introduction to Vape Pens
Weed vape pens are tools used for vaping cannabis extracts. Normally, a vape pen consists of a battery and an atomizer (vape cartridge). Some vape pens are one single unit with the battery and cartridge attached. These are known as disposable pens and have become a popular cannabis product in Canada. However, some vape pens can be reused depending on the brand and the raw material needed to produce vapour.
How Do Vape Pens Work?
There are many different types of vape pens and many different parts. However, there are a few parts that all weed pens need to have.
- Atomizer: The atomizer is the part that turns the oil, wax, herb, or e-liquid into vapour. It is what makes a vaporizer a vaporizer. Most vape pens use the conduction method to turn material into vapour. This means that the atomizer has to be in contact with the material to turn it to vapour.
To make this possible, the atomizer is usually in the same chamber as the material. The atomizer houses a vape coil, and around the coil is light wicking material to ensure that not too much material is drawn in and not too much heat is put out.
This coil usually only lasts for a few weeks before it needs to be replaced. To adjust the heat, many vape pen manufacturers create air holes at the top or bottom of the chamber, which allows air to be pulled in or blocked as needed.
- Battery: This is the power center of the weed pen. It’s also the largest component, making up most of the body. Most vape pens have their batteries in-built which means that when it runs out, the whole pen’s gone. Vape pens that allow users to control the temperature or wattage have circuit boards made to manage the battery’s power output.
- Mouthpiece: Some vape pens have cylindrical mouthpieces like a stick that lets you get the maximum vapour amount at once. Other pens have a little dent in the middle meant to fit your lips’ shape and make vaping more comfortable.
Apart from these three central parts, vape pens come in all shapes and sizes. There are some with the ability to recharge, buttons and no buttons, cylindrical or rectangular shape, etc. Although there’s a lot of variety, vape pens can be categorized.
Types of Vape Pens
There are several types of Vape pens. They can be categorized in two ways; by material and by reusability.
We’ll begin by explaining the types of vape pens based on materials, that is, the type of input needed to create vapour.
- Dry Herb Vaporizers: These vapes are meant to take dry herb, a.k.a flower or buds and turn them into vapour. These vapes only need you to push your flower into the chamber, close it up and control the temperature to release the vapour. Although the weed is heated, it is not burnt. When all the vapour is gone and the used weed is taken out, the colour should be brown, not burnt black.
- Wax Vaporizers: Wax vape pens allow users to put shatter wax inside the chamber to be slowly heated into vapour. Shatter is usually a lot more concentrated than dry herbs, so temperature control is needed to ensure that the vapour doesn’t get too intense.
- Oil Vaporizers: Oil vape pens work with cannabis oils. These oils are usually predominantly THC or CBD. Oil vape pens usually come with a cartridge full of oil that you have to fit into the main vape. The oil is drawn from the cartridge and heated to vapour when the machine is switched on.
- E-Liquid Vaporizers: These vape pens work in mostly the same way as oil vape pens, except that they use e-liquid instead. Both oil and e-liquid vape pens use cartridges and can be refilled and used when the oil or liquid has gone dry.
Effects of Vape Pens
- Benefits of Vape Pens: The most common effects associated with weed vape pens are increases in happiness, relaxation, euphoria, sedation, sleepiness, focus, energy and creativity. The effects felt will heavily depend on the strain of weed used and the quantity vaped.
- Medical Uses of Vape Pens: Medical marijuana patients use vape pens to help ease anxiety, specific types of seizures, stress, aches, pains, inflammation, headaches, nausea, sleep issues and appetite loss.
- Negative Effects of Vape Pens: The most common side effects are dry mouth, red eyes and lethargy. In rare instances, paranoia, nausea, headaches, dizziness and hallucinations could possibly occur. These negative effects usually affect those that take too much at once.
Why Use Vape Pens?
Here are a few reasons why you should use vape pens.
Releasing a plume of smoke from a blunt isn’t very low-key and can get you kicked out of some official places. But vape pens are shaped to look like actual stationery and are so small that you can slip them into your pocket or a drawer without attracting anyone’s attention.
- Health Reasons
There have been many studies held to understand the health benefits and risks of vaping. Currently, there isn’t any evidence to prove that vaping causes any physical or mental illnesses. There’s even evidence that using a pair of twins tentatively concludes that vaping is not responsible for an IQ reduction in consumers.
Secondhand smoke from tobacco is a menace, but recent evidence also shows that secondhand smoke resulting from weed vapes produces little to no effects. It also dissipates too quickly to be of any harm, while tobacco smoke can linger for a long time.
- Saves Money
Tobacco consumers in Canada spend between $110 and $140 on a 200-pack of cigarettes. This is a recurring expenditure which can bud up to thousands yearly. Buying reusable vapes and pre-drilled cartridges costs much less.
Alternatives to Vape Pens
There is no shortage of cannabis products in Canada. It is no surprise when looking at how many different categories there are. Some of the most popular ways to take cannabis in Canada include:
- Rick Simpson Oil (RSO)
- Shatter Wax
- Terp Sauce
Best Place to Buy Vape Pens in Canada?
The best place to buy vape pens is at Weed Smart, the best online marijuana dispensary in Canada. We offer a wide variety of vape pens and at affordable pricing. We have been working with suppliers for many years and have built strong relationships with leaders in the cannabis industry in order to bring you the best products possible. Order now, start saving and start shopping smart, shop WeedSmart.
- Secondhand Smoke Facts. Center for Disease Prevention and Control. Accessed on February 23, 2021 at https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/general_facts/index.htm#:~:text=Secondhand%20smoke%20is%20smoke%20from,cigarettes%2C%20cigars%2C%20or%20pipes.&text=Secondhand%20smoke%20also%20is%20smoke,out%2C%20by%20the%20person%20smoking.&text=Tobacco%20smoke%20contains%20more%20than,70%20that%20can%20cause%20cancer
- Semple S, Latif N. How long does secondhand smoke remain in household air: analysis of PM2.5 data from smokers’ homes. Nicotine Tob Res. 2014. Accessed on February 23, 2021 at https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24904023/
- Jan Conway. Canadian Cost of 200 Cigarettes by Region 2018 Accessed on February 23, 2021 at https://www.statista.com/statistics/449041/price-of-200-cigarettes-by-region-canada/
- Andrew McIvor, MD MSc FRCP. Tobacco control and nicotine addiction in Canada: Current trends, management and challenges. Accessed on February 23, 2021 at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2687843/#!po=75.0000
- Government of Canada. Heath Canada, Healthy Living. Vaping and quitting smoking. Accessed on February 23, 2021 at https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/smoking-tobacco/vaping/smokers.html
- Government of Canada. Health Canada. Healthy Living. Vaping product regulations. Accessed on February 23, 2021 at https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/smoking-tobacco/vaping/product-safety-regulation.html